I have been forcing myself to start trying new recipes and branching out with my cooking lately, this is a byproduct of me watching too much “Cutthroat Kitchen” and “Chopped.” With this branching out phase I have also found out how many recipes online are just NOT good. I feel like sometimes people just write down a ton of ingredients, make up some steps, and then BOOM -recipe. So here I am to help you sort through some of the good recipes and the bad recipes, here are my top pics for this week.
Per serving: 498 calories; 28 g fat (8 g sat, 12 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 718 mg sodium; 396 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (75% daily value), Vitamin C (66% dv), Calcium (34% dv), Vitamin B12 (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
- Quick and easy to make (almost as quick as throwing a frozen pizza in the oven or microwave, yet so much healthier).
- Lower in carbohydrates due to using the whole wheat naan and only a small amount of cheese.
- GOOD PROTEIN SOURCE and you get a serving of veggies.
- The recipe could use a little bit more flavor, I would recommend adding tomatoes and maybe even some mushrooms to give it a little more variety.
- The red wine vinegar took over the flavor, season moderately.
- A lot of fat…. 28 gram fat per serving and the sodium level is pretty high as well (718mg). These numbers are better for you then any microwaveable, frozen pizza out there, just make sure you are only consuming high fat/high sodium foods in moderation. I wouldn’t recommend cooking this more than once a week due to the nutritional content.
Per serving: Calories 325 calories, Fat 13, Sat Fat 6 , Cholesterol 232 mg, Sodium 1119 mg, Protein 14 g, Carbohydrate 40 g, Fiber 5
Nutrition Bonus: Iron 3 mg, Calcium 115 mg
- DELICIOUS, the egg adds something to the salsa and bean mixture that is amazingly good and the texture is perfect.
- This recipe is also quick and easy to make, it took me around 20 minutes total which is nice on days that I really don’t have the energy to cook for hours at a time.
- This recipe is good for vegetarians due to its high protein and iron containing foods.
- Red alert on the high sodium (1119mg).
- Too much salsa was used in the recipe, I recommend using half the salsa and doubling up on the black beans. Also, make sure you put a lid on the pan once you start cooking the eggs to allow the yolk to cook thoroughly.
- If you are not a bird eater, then you are like me and probably need two servings instead of one – in that case the carbohydrate content is pretty high (40grams per serving, 80grams if you were super hungry like me).